Duct Repair Tips – Salt Lake City & Surrounding Areas
Posted by Shawn Larsen | HVAC in Utah | Posted on January 30, 2020
Minor Duct Repair Tips:
- Check your ducts for air leaks. Look for sections that should be joined but have separated and then look for obvious holes.
- If you use tape to seal your ducts, avoid cloth-backed, rubber adhesive duct tape — it tends to fail too quickly. Instead, use mastic, butyl tape, foil tape, or other heat-approved tapes. Look for tape with the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) logo.
- Remember that insulating ducts in the basement will make the basement colder. If both the ducts and the basement walls are not insulated, consider insulating both. Water pipes and drains in unconditioned spaces could freeze and burst if the heat ducts are fully insulated because there would be no heat source to prevent the space from freezing in cold weather. However, using an electric heating tape wrap on the pipes can prevent this. Check with a professional contractor.
- After converting your basement to a living area hire a professional from Larsen HVAC to install both supply and return registers in the basement rooms.
- Duct mastic is the preferred material for sealing duct work seams and joints. It is more durable than any available tape and generally easier for a do-it-yourself installation. The only problem with mastic tape is that it will not bridge gaps over ¼ inch. If you have a gab wider than this it must be first bridged with web-type drywall tape or a good quality heat resistant tape.
- To prevent moisture condensation make sure a well-sealed vapor barrier exists on the outside of the insulation on cooling ducts.
- Be sure to get professional help when doing duct work. A qualified professional technician from Larsen HVAC will perform changes and repairs to your duct system so you don’t have to worry about missing a step.
See our page on Duct Repair Services in Salt Lake City for more information about how we can service your home’s duct work. For more information read energy.gov article about duct work maintenance and repair.